Wind Farm Services
The noise from wind farms has in recent times become an issue of increasing interest in the community and media.
The complexity of wind farm noise generation, propagation and intrusion dictate that wind farm noise assessments are amongst the most technical methodologies of any modern noise assessment.
The need for adequate planning and baseline data collection in the early stages of a wind farm are critical to ensuring the amenity of the area is not significantly affected whilst working towards the overall goals of the wind farm project.
SLR Consulting has extensive experience with wind farm noise assessment and has worked with wind farm developers, regulatory authorities and local communities. Our analysis methodologies and tools are well suited to SA EPA Wind Farm Noise Guidelines, NZS:6808, AS:4959 and other emerging standards and guidelines.
Specifically, SLR Consulting offers expertise in:
- Baseline noise monitoring
- Large data set analysis
- 3-D computer modelling of noise (SoundPLAN)
- Assessment to appropriate wind farm criteria
- Addressing emerging issues including low frequency noise, amplitude modulation and tonality
- Compliance monitoring and assessment
- Noise mitigation optimisation and strategies
- Expert witness statements
- Community presentation and public liaison
- Complaint monitoring and resolution
- Third party expert review
- Policy and guideline development
- Remote real-time monitoring system development
SLR has developed new analysis tools to assist developers in determining the most appropriate way to manage noise issues. Management of noise issues in the planning stage may involve identification of key turbines that contribute to noise at a residential location, sector management and use of ‘low noise’ modes that may adequately control the noise levels. SLR’s analysis tools are able to quickly determine contributions of turbines to the overall noise level with mitigation strategies selected on a case-by-case basis.
- Huxley Hill Wind Farm, King Island, Tasmania - Hydro Tasmania - Compliance assessment, detailed complaint investigation, building mitigation design.
- King Island expanded wind farm (Huxley Hill II) - Hydro Tasmania - Noise impact assessment of expanded wind farm project for EA
- Crookwell II Wind Farm, NSW - Gamesa Eolica/ TME - Noise impact assessment for EIS
- Palings Yard Wind Farm, NSW - Gamesa Eolica/TME - Baseline noise monitoring programme
- Evandale Wind Farm, NSW - Taurus Energy - Baseline noise monitoring programme
- Cullerin Range Wind Farm, NSW - Taurus Energy - Noise impact assessment for EIS
- Conroys Gap Wind Farm, NSW - Taurus Energy - Noise impact assessment for EIS
- Ballerina Estate Wind Farm, NSW - Community wind farm - Preliminary noise predictions
- Silverton Wind Farm, NSW - Epuron - Noise impact assessment for EA
- Carrols Ridge Wind Farm, NSW - Epuron - noise impact assessment for EA
- Boco Rock Wind Farm, NSW - Wind Prospect- noise impact assessment for EA
- Cullerin Range Wind Farm, NSW - Origin Energy - construction noise monitoring and assessment
- Sapphire Wind Farm, NSW - Wind Prospect - Noise impact assessment for EA
- Wind Farm Noise Expert Advisor – Victorian Department of Planning and Community Development (DPCD)
- Clean Energy Council - Specialist advice with regards to LFN
- Crookwell 3 Wind Farm - noise impact assessment for EA
- Palings Yards Wind Farm NSW – Union Fenosa - noise impact assessment for EA
- Eden Wind Farm – Epuron - noise impact assessment for Council SEE submission
- Department of Planning and Community Development (DPDC) – review of wind farm noise standards and implications on projects in Victoria
- Department of Planning and Community Development (DPDC) – review of Compliance Monitoring Report for Waubra Wind Farm.
- Mortons Lane Wind Farm, VIC – acoustic peer review
- Mt Gellibrand Wind Farm, VIC - Acciona – acoustic peer review
- Ryans Corner & Hawkesdale Wind Farms, VIC Union Fenosa – acoustic peer review
- Deepwater Wind Farm, NSW – Epuron - noise impact assessment for EA
- Rye Park Wind Farm, NSW – Epuron - noise impact assessment for EA
- Liverpool Range Wind Farm, NSW – Epuron- noise impact assessment for EA
- Conroy’s Gap Wind Farm, NSW – Epuron – revised NIA