Supporting ground-borne noise and vibration prediction from underground railways
Track design to meet noise and vibration goals
Assessing passenger comfort and compliance with specifications
Design and benefit analysis of barriers
Acceptance testing, noise source identification and design of mitigation
Rail roughness measurement and acoustic grinding strategies
Rail Noise and Vibration
Demand for rail transport services is increasing with growing populations and environmental awareness. Rail networks are being expanded and existing railways are being operated at higher capacities, driven by the political objectives of expanding economies and promoting growth. Populations are becoming increasingly mobile, demanding improved opportunities for travel and tourism, as well as access to increasingly diverse products.
In recent years, Australia has seen considerable investment in rail infrastructure, and more growth is needed to meet demand for sustainable transport of people and freight within urban areas and across the country.
Noise and vibration impacts on communities near rail lines are often a constraint on development.
SLR Consulting provides world-class expertise in assessing and mitigating rail noise and vibration impacts. We provide advice to government departments, regulatory authorities, infrastructure project teams, developers, freight operators, passenger operators and to affected residents and communities.
At SLR, we are focused on providing superior technical services with an emphasis on controlling noise impacts at source by best-practice design. We work on light rail systems, rapid-transit metro systems, urban and intercity passenger rail networks, and heavy-haul freight operations. We are familiar with the noise issues associated with rail support facilities including intermodal terminals, stabling facilities and maintenance depots.
Our consultants have a thorough understanding of the relevant regulatory requirements and legislation applicable to rail infrastructure projects, developments near railways and the day to day operation of rail networks. We have significant experience in liaising with government departments on a wide range of rail noise and vibration issues.
SLR has experience in engagement with community and stakeholder groups and with management of the wide range of social and community issues often present in areas where rail traffic travels through populated areas.
SLR offers a full range of rail acoustic services.
Recent experience includes:
- Rail project construction and operational noise and vibration impact assessments
- Construction noise and vibration management plans
- Modelling of rail noise and vibration impacts on developments near rail corridors
- Detailed noise and vibration mitigation design for rail projects and affected developments
- Ground-borne noise and vibration prediction and control
- Freight noise surveys
- Noise type testing for freight locomotives and wagons
- Freight noise emission investigations and mitigation, including muffler optimisation
- Environmental supervision of construction activities
- Operational noise compliance measurements
- Regulatory consultation
- Prediction of viaduct structure-radiated noise
- Rail damper performance trials
- Track decay rate measurements
- Rail acoustic roughness measurement and analysis