Project Management & Construction Supervision
Erosion Modelling, Optimisation & Reprofiling Design
Beach Profile Analysis & Trials
Development & Sequencing
Optimisation of operational performance
Optimisation of mine-wide water and effluent management
Mine Waste Engineering & Environmental Services
SLR's engineers have decades of mine residue disposal and specialist environmental experience covering virtually all phases of mine life from feasibility studies to decommissioning, closure, remediation and post operational phase land use development.
Our experience in tailings dam design, waste rock dumps, heap leach engineering, water quality and geochemistry covers vastly different environments around the world (Australia, Africa, Asia, Europe, North America and South America) in terms of climate, seismicity, topography, geotechnics, rheology, geochemistry, and water scarcity.
Our senior personnel have been involved in a wide range of minerals including gold, uranium, diamonds, coal, platinum, copper, nickel, chrome, vanadium, mineral sands projects, oil and natural gas. We have designed above ground, valley fill, subaqueous, in-pit and underground disposal facilities.
SLR's engineers have been exposed to a wide range of material transport and disposal methods including mechanical (stacking), hydraulic and integrated disposal. Hydraulic disposal covers paste thickened tailings through to conventional slurries.
Our comprehensive experience allows SLR to identify economical and environmentally acceptable solutions which take cognizance of long term liability, through the careful integration of site specific conditions, geotechnical and geochemical characteristics of the tailings, various possible disposal strategies, closure objectives and constraints and risk management.
SLR offers a full range of mine waste engineering environmental services to the mining industry including:
- Mine residue design, construction supervision, operational management, review and audit (including tailings beaching characteristic and deposition modelling, high density thickened tailings assessments, liquefaction assessments, and flow slide analyses);
- Geotechnical investigations - Slope stability, seismic and seepage deformation assessments;
- Waste characterization, geochemical modelling and assessments - Benefit cost studies, design reviews and optimisation;
- Mine closure planning, engineering design and costing, together with quantified risk assessment;
- Waste Rock Dump design - Stable landform design through erosion modelling;
- Heap leach facility design, construction supervision, review and audit, with probalistic water and solute balance modelling;
- Water quality management and water use reduction and optimisation studies;
- Mine wide water balance and surface water hydrology studies including flood lines, peak flows and surface water management plans;
- Design of water dams, recharge systems and water supply;
- Industrial, domestic and hazardous waste facility design, operational optimisation and closure;
- Auditing of waste management facilities;
- Pollution remediation investigation, design and monitoring;
- Construction supervision and project management;
- Dam safety classification and registration and provision of approved professional engineer services;
- Environmental management plans and monitoring; and
- Regulatory consultation
For more information on capability, please download the following brochure;